Sunday, May 31, 2009

To self soothe...


The last few weeks have been difficult with Elliana. I am trying to get her to sleep in her crib for naps during the day. Previously her swing was the only way to get her to fall asleep. Things have been slowly getting better.

Feeding her was what typically worked to get her to bed at night. Recently, this has changed. She will finish her bottle but not go to sleep... I will end up making a few more ounces just to try again. She needs that sucking comfort to settle. We have tried pacifiers since she was born. They have never really worked. We found one she would take for a few moments to settle down but the last 3 or so weeks she has stopped taking them all together.

I know that if she would allow herself to take the pacifier, it would give her the comort of sucking that she needs to help calm herself down. To be able to self soothe.

So the other day I dug out a different pacifier, ... one that is shaped more like the nipple of her bottles.

She took it right away! I was so shocked.

.... and it worked.

The pacifier helped her to settle down and she went back to sleep, peacefully.

What a relief!

I have never been so happy about one of my children accepting a pacifier!
But I feel blessed that we have a better solution for her to be able to soothe herself and get the rest she needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment